Fluorine Element Number 9 F

Polytetrafluoroethylene or Teflon, This stick has a silky feel and is the only solid substance known that a gecko can sometimes not stick to, most people know Teflon as a cookware coating.

 F 9  gas  BP: -306.62f  MP: -363.32f  AW: 18.998,  D@ BP: 1.505gm

Fluorine is a Halogen, and a diatomic gas with pale yellow color. Fluorine is very reactive, and forms many compounds, in nature it is found in minerals and rocks such as fluorite or Fluorspar.

pure Fluorine s a toxic gas, and some compounds of F are dangerous, Hydrofluoric acid is so strong it can dissolve glass. We generally know about the Fluoride in tooth paste, and some areas treat drinking water with Fluoride, Fluoride is toxic at high levels, but helps prevent tooth decay at low levels.

Teflon is a compound of Fluorine, it has a non-stick property and has many uses, coatings of kitchen wares, boat hulls, grease, engine parts to name a few. The name Fluorine come from Latin for " flow" it is used in grease and flux. It can bond with many elements and form strong compounds. It  is the only element to bond with Xenon, a noble gas. there are many uses for this element.

Fluorine is used in Pharmaceuticals, pesticides, water resistant materials, acids, greases, lubricants, and others. One compound of note, fluorocarbons made with Bromine or Chlorine, are regulated, some of these directly damage the Ozone layer, and Hydrofluorocarbons are greenhouse gasses many many times stronger than CO2. Fluorine bonds are so strong that some Fluorine pollutants in the environment do not  break down easily if at all.

One use of Fluorine gas is in the nuclear industry is to form Uranium Hexafluoride, which can produce nuclear fuels, the material is extremely toxic and reactive. Another cool Fluorine use is a with Isotope, F18, It emits positrons and is used in PET tomography to locate cancers, F-18 has a half life of around 110 mins. F-19 is the only natural isotope, and other radioisotopes of Fluorine are lab made.

I have yet to purchase a Fluorine gas sample, as it is difficult to contain in view. I do know a company the sells 33%F gas samples, the other 67% is Helium I believe. I am currently content with my PTFE rod and mineral sample.

A nice chunk of Fluorite, a mineral rich with Fluorine, can be used to make Hydrofluoric  acid

Neon Element Number 10  Ne

Neon is a gaseous element and is the second element in group VIIIA directly below Helium. This group is known as the noble gasses and these are the gasses that are used in "Neon" lights. The term Neon in lighting actually refers to 5 elemental gasses, all of which are of this group. A 6th radioactive gas in this group, Radon is not used in gas discharge lighting.

Neon lights are actually clear glass tubes filled with an elemental gas, these tubes are then energized with high voltage electricity, I have gas tube HV transformers with outputs of 12000 volts! The gas inside the tube will glow, this is actually the gas atoms becoming excited and radiating colorful light. each element has its own spectral signature, and Neon has a beautiful reddish orange glow.

Neon is the 5th most abundant element in our atmosphere.It is an inert gas, and forms monatomic molecules or single atoms. There is no known compound of Neon, not even Fluorine will bond with it!  Neon is created in larger stars with mega temperatures.

Besides Neon's use in  HV signs, it also can be used in light bulbs, I have one as a night light in a standard lamp, also indicator lights. Neon has amazing cryogenic uses as a refrigerant, also it is used in He-Ne lasers, vacuum tubes and television tubes.

Neon can be separated from air in a liquefaction process. There are known isotopes of Neon, some of which are stable, Neon 21 is a result of a complex decay series in some rocks on Earth.

In this photo is a tiny indicator light filled with Neon gas. I bought 300 of these Soviet military parts from a Ukrainian company.

 Ne 10  gas,  BP: -410.94F,  MP:-415.46F   D@ BP: .9002    AW: 20.1797

100 Miniture Neon bulbs